At Houston Methodist, the Supervisor Comparative Medicine Program (CMP) position is responsible for coordinating all elements required to successfully deliver exceptional care and ensure compliance with Comparative Medicine Program Standard Operating Procedure, and deliver quality research support and health care for laboratory animals. This position provides direct supervision of technicians which includes managing and creating schedules, and assists with oversight and training of staff to ensure compliance with institutional and accrediting/regulatory agencies. The Supervisor CMP position’s duties also include workflow/work process issue resolution, mentoring of staff, feedback on staff performance, data analysis and reporting, special projects and other responsibilities of a similar nature and level.
The supervisor position responsibilities include overseeing the daily work activities of the work unit/department staff, ensuring quality, productivity, functional excellence and efficiency. This position trains and supervises staff while maintaining adequate staffing levels and budget compliance. The supervisor position contributes to staffing decisions such as hiring, coaching and counseling employees on work related performance. This position assists in the development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure a safe and effective work environment. Other duties for the supervisor position include participating in performance improvement activities, as well as providing support for department management to achieve operational goals. This position may also perform staff duties and responsibilities as needed.
The CMP Supervisor position will directly oversee CMP’s team of veterinary technicians. This will include strong communication skills between CMP leadership and HMRI research staff when scheduling surgical and technical service procedures. A proficient understanding of anesthesia monitoring, drug calculations and supply ordering is required. The CMP Supervisor will participate in all veterinary services provided by the CMP veterinary technician team including weekend and holiday rotational coverage.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
- Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
- Focuses on patient/customer safety
- Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
- Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
- Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
- Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports byenabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
Displays cultural humility, diversity, equity and inclusion principles
Actively supports the organization vision, fulfills the mission and abides by the I CARE values
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
- Participates in management responsibilities of selection, scheduling, supervision, retention, and evaluation of employees in the department. Provides development and mentoring of staff. Ensures that all department staff are properly trained and comply with all policies and procedures. Assists with meeting or exceeding threshold goal for department turnover. (EF)
- Consults with department leadership on coaching/corrective counseling and staff performance to achieve desired outcomes. Conducts new hire feedback sessions and provides recognition/commendations, as appropriate. (EF)
- Creates and maintains an environment of collaboration by role modeling teamwork within the department. Effectively interacts within and between departments ensuring seamless flow of information/communication. Role models clear and professional communication to facilitate problem resolution to achieve mutual understanding. Teaches others to critically think by verbally expressing rationale for decisions and follows up consistently. (EF)
- Meets or exceeds threshold goal for department and/or system metrics on employee engagement indicators: action readiness score, tier level. (EF)
- Functions as a mentor, assisting in team members’ development of skills and provides training for CMP technicians on procedures and departmental Standards of Practice as needed. (EF)
- Prepares, maintains and monitors staffing levels, tasks, on-call, training, and time-off schedules. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
- Oversees daily department operations, schedule and activities. Sets priorities and functional standards, giving direction to staff as necessary to ensure the best possible delivery of service and high customer/patient satisfaction. (EF)
- Organizes the workflow, proactively problem solves, anticipates needs, and manages multiple ongoing priorities. Provides reports to management of needs, issues to be addressed, and all important information necessary to ensure department success. Serves and actively participates on various committees as directed. (EF)
- Provides and emphasizes high-quality customer service and outcomes for staff and engages in research activites in order to be an integral part of the team. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
- Ensures a safe and effective working environment; assists in monitoring and/or revising the department safety plan and/or any specific accreditation/regulatory agency required safety guidelines. (EF)
- Uses and optimizes information systems to enhance operations; participates in performance improvement and data management/analysis functions as directed. (EF)
- Employs a proactive approach in the optimization of positive outcomes by monitoring and improving the department workflow, supporting peer-to-peer accountability, and identifying solutions via collaboration. Role models situational awareness, using teachable moments to improve safety. Participates in investigations as a result of the root cause analysis process as assigned by manager. (EF)
- Monitors self and ensures employee compliance with policies, procedures, and System HR Standards of Practice and performs associated actions upon non-compliance (i.e., focal point review requirements, disaster plan, inservices, influenza immunization, wage and hour, standard hours, timely termination submission, timely timecard approval, etc.). (EF)
- Maintains accurate inventories and initiates orders for supplies and equipment. (EF)
FINANCE - 20%
- Assists in the management of essential and non-essential department expenditures to achieve financial target through optimization of productivity, supply/resource efficiency, minimizing incidental overtime and overtime percentage, and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
- Manages staffing needs including scheduling, time off requests and time keeping. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Implements change, demonstrating the ability to motivate employees and follow through to ensure change in behavior has actually occurred. Supports Houston Methodist and department goals and vision. Identifies industry trends and implements innovative solutions for practice or workflow changes to improve department operations. (EF)
- Develops skills of team members and continually assists with improving competencies, performance and outcomes. Fosters a positive and constructive teaching environment by engaging staff/team members in learning opportunities that are valuable and in alignment with business objectives. Conducts conversations with staff on their development and individual development plan (IDP). (EF)
- Seeks opportunities to identify self developmental needs and takes appropriate action. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Completes and updates My Development Plan on an on-going basis. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Associates degree
o Bachelor’s degree preferred
o Two years of relevant animal-related experience, of which one year must have been in a role with progressive leadership responsibility
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o American Association for Laboratory Animal Science-Laboratory Animal Technician within nine months of hire
o American Association for Laboratory Animal Science-Laboratory Animal Technologist-preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate through a variety of channels with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles; engages the recipient(s) and helps them understand and retain the message
o Demonstrates the ability to interact with others in a way that gives them confidence in one’s intentions and those of the organization
o Demonstrates leadership qualities and critical thinking through self-direction initiative, effective interpersonal skills, and oral/written communication skills
o Ability to identify and understand issues, problems and opportunities; and recommend solutions
o Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
o Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in the workplace
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional No
Other (dept approved) No
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Houston Methodist Research Institute was formed in 2004 to rapidly and efficiently translate discoveries made in the laboratory and the clinic into new diagnostics, therapies, and treatments. The research institute was created to provide the infrastructure and support for these endeavors, and to house the technology and resources needed to make innovative breakthroughs in important areas of human disease. A 540,000 square foot building dedicated to research, the research institute houses over 1,500 staff and trainees, 284 principal investigators and has more than 570 ongoing clinical trials.