At Houston Methodist, the Sterile Processing Technician position is responsible for decontamination, assembly, inspecting, wrapping, and sterilization of surgical instruments and medical equipment for Surgical Services and all ancillary departments which includes working in conjunction with the Operation Room (OR) staff to provide timely sterile products, trays, and case carts where applicable. The position maintains consistent and continuous workflow between the OR and Central Service Sterile Processing while practicing excellent customer service.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
- Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
- Focuses on patient/customer safety
- Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
- Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
- Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
- Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports byenabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
Displays cultural humility, diversity, equity and inclusion principles
Actively supports the organization vision, fulfills the mission and abides by the I CARE values
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
- Communicates with staff from the interprofessional health care team concerning patient safety to improve outcomes and the safe transition of care through effective assignment and shift handoffs, using a structured format. Communication to promote both work efforts and problem resolution is clear and professional. (EF)
- Responds positively to requests for assistance. Collaborates to foster healthy relationships in the work environment. Makes contributions to the work effort as a whole and uses problem resolution effectively. (EF)
- Conducts self in a manner that is congruent with cultural diversity, equity, and inclusion principles. Contributes towards improvement of department scores for employee engagement, i.e., peer-to-peer accountability (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
- Performs decontamination and assembling of basic surgical trays, individual instrumentation and equipment utilizing established count sheets. Wraps or contains items appropriately according to size and type of instrument or equipment. (EF)
- Provides timely sterile products, trays and case carts, by location, by following guidance of experienced surgical techs, in conjunction with the OR staff. (EF)
- Sterilizes instruments and surgical trays by following prescribed manufacturer instructions for use and according to institutional policies and procedures. (EF)
- Organizes workload utilizing available work time by assisting others and performing additional task as needed. Provides consistent and continuous workflow between the OR and Sterile Processing while practicing excellent customer service. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
- Utilizes appropriate cleaning detergents and agents by reading directions and SDS sheets. (EF)
- Utilizes all department equipment according to manufacturers’ instructions for use and department policies and protocols. (EF)
- Ensures through visual inspection that trays have completed the quality process according to AAMI standards for patient use. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, cleaning the workstation at the end of each shift, and minimizing incidental overtime. Utilizes time between heavy workloads efficiently and helps other team members. (EF)
- Uses department resources efficiently to ensure completeness of trays, instruments and equipment according to count sheets; does not waste supplies. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
- Understands, applies, and demonstrates industry Sterile Processing standards i.e., Steam, ETO and Low Temperature Hydrogen Peroxide. (EF)
- Participates in department projects and Shared Governance committee for department. Follow up on action items as necessary to ensure completion of assignments. (EF)
- Identifies own learning needs, consults with healthcare team experts, and seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development. Completes and updates the My Development Plan on an on-going basis. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
o Formal education through a Sterile Processing program preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) certification through through Healthcare Sterile Processing Association (HSPA) OR Certified Sterile Processing and Distribution Technician (CSPDT) certification through Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution, Inc. (CBSPD) within one year of employment
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Independently demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Follows Universal Precautions by wearing the appropriate protective attire while working in the Decontamination area
o Exhibits interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers
o Ability to utilize basic computer programs such as Microsoft Office and electronic instrument tracking system, if applicable
o Demonstrates proper phone etiquette when responding to inquiries made to the department
o Maintains patient and family privacy
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional No
Other (dept approved) No
On-Call* Yes, on a regular basis
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within No
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. In 2020, U.S. News & World Report named Houston Methodist Hospital to its top ranked Honor Roll for the fourth time and second consecutive year. 2020 also marked the ninth year in a row Houston Methodist Hospital has been named the No. 1 hospital in Texas. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 952 operating beds, 85 operating rooms and over 8,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
The same high-quality care for which Houston Methodist is known is available at several Emergency Care Centers in Houston and the surrounding areas. These Emergency Care Centers house exam rooms, full digital radiography suite, low radiation dose 16-slice CT scan, ultrasound and a full on-site stat chemistry lab.