About Your Work Day
- Clean hotel rooms as assigned while ensuring the standards of cleanliness/safety with direction from the Hotel General Manager, Director of Lodging & Sales, Executive Housekeeper, and/or Housekeeping Supervisor(s).
- Complete daily room assignments and checklists efficiently by completing cleaning tasks from high to low priority within allotted minutes per room without compromising quality.
- Stock wheeled cart with cleaning supplies using the designated sign-out procedure. Fill and label chemical cleaning products as necessary. Transport cleaning supplies and linens/towels to assigned area.
- Execute specific procedures for cleaning hotel rooms during an overnight stay and check out.
- Pick up trash/debris, vacuum, empty wastebasket, and transport waste to the disposal area.
- Scrub and disinfect bathrooms using designated chemical products, including floor, sinks, toilets, bath/hot tubs, and showers. Polish wooden fixtures, including desks, dressers, and nightstands.
- Remove bed linens with guest check out (or on guest request) and replace them with laundered linensno exceptions.
- Replenish supplies/toiletries and communicate product needs to the manager or supervisor.
- Report room maintenance issues, property damages, or safety concerns to the supervisor for resolution.
- Follow outlined procedures to report/log lost guest items for prompt return.
- Adhere to procedures for the use of chemical cleaners to maintain safety standards and prevent damage.
- Comply with OSHAs Blood Borne Pathogen and Hazard Communication/Safety Data Standards, including proper use of protective equipment when cleaning up potentially infectious materials and/or using cleaning chemicals.
- Interact positively with guests, anticipate needs, and respond promptly to answer questions or resolve concerns.
- Establish and maintain cooperative, productive working relationships with team members.
- Maintain regular communication with the Executive Housekeeper, Housekeeping Supervisors, Front Desk Manager, and/or Front Desk regarding the status of hotel rooms.
- Actively participate in team meetings and training/development programs, including sharing expertise with new hires.
- Report work-related injuries immediately to manager/supervisor and Human Resources using appropriate Injury Report, even if not seeking medical attention.
About Your Schedule
Chautauqua Institution and Chautauqua Hotel Company offer flexible schedules, full and part-time, for seasonal employment during summer operations starting annually each May and concluding in October. Schedules typically include weekends and/or holidays as a requirement.
While you will confirm your final schedule with management at the time an interview and offer of employment, you should generally anticipate the following schedule options for this position:
Day Shift: 8am-4:30pm
Evenings: 2pm- 10:30pm
About Your Compensation
Compensation for this position starts at $14.50/Hour and, with demonstrated experience and qualifications, candidates may earn up to $16.00/Hour + Tips.
About the $250 Referral Bonus Program
Chautauqua Institutions Referral Bonus Program is a talent solution to recruit, develop, and retain a diverse workforce that encompasses all the skills and experience necessary to deliver on our goals and objectives. Chautauqua Institution will provide a $250 referral bonus (less taxes) for active employees referring a new candidate who is hired and remains employed for at least 90-days from the first physical date of work. In the case of seasonal positions working less than 6-months the new candidate must remain actively employed for at least 30-days from the first physical date of work and until the closing date of the season. The closing date of the season is the last Sunday in August.
About Chautauqua Institution
Chautauqua Institutionis a not-for-profit global convener of dialogue on the most significant issues of the day through engagement across four pillars of the arts, education, religion, and recreation. The Chautauqua community is located on the shores of Chautauqua Lake insouthwestern New York State and comes alive each summer with a unique mix of visual and performing arts, lectures, interfaith worship/programs, and recreational activities. Chautauqua Institution owns and operates Chautauqua Hotel Company, a comprehensive hotel, food & beverage, conferencing, and events organization. The Institutions office in Washington, DCis locatedstrategically for anongoing role in the cultural conversations of the nation.
Discovering Your Chautauqua Experience
There are countless ways that our talent will engage with our mission, vision, and diverse communities, and you are invited to immerse yourself in our programming as a gateway to this experience. Employees will receive a traditional Chautauqua gate pass, free of cost, which provides access to many of our programs at the Amphitheater. In addition to a traditional gate pass, employees and their families will receive full access to our current and historical programs online at CHQ Assembly.
Commitment to Values of IDEA
Chautauqua Institution values Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility (IDEA) as a priority in our strategic plan, 150 Forward. One of our five core values is The dignity and contributions of all people. We are committed to creating conditions in which everyone feels that they can engage as full and valued participants in the Chautauqua experience. The Institution is an equal opportunity employer committed to equitable and inclusive hiring practices and applicants will not be discriminated against based on any status protected under federal, state, or local law. We especially welcome applications from those who can demonstrate past experience, engagement and professional expertise in IDEA.
Vaccination for COVID-19
Chautauqua Institution has adopted a mandatory vaccination policy to safeguard the health of our employees, patrons, and our shared community from COVID-19. By applying for employment, candidates acknowledge that they will comply with Chautauqua Institutions Mandatory Vaccination Policy requiring all employees to provide proof of full vaccination immediately upon hire or be approved for a medical or religious accommodation and before physically starting work.
Joining Our Talent Community
Join our talent community online at CHQ.org/employment. You are encouraged to learn more about Chautauqua Institution at CHQ.org, engage with our staff at [insert link for staff bio project], and view the 150 Forward Strategic Plan at 150fwd.CHQ.org.
- No prior housekeeping experience required for this position.
- Functional Expert: Considered a thought leader on a subject
- Team Player: Works well as a member of a group
- Detail Oriented: Capable of carrying out a given task with all details necessary to get the task done well
- Job Security: Inspired to perform well by the knowledge that your job is safe
- Goal Completion: Inspired to perform well by the completion of tasks
- Peer Recognition: Inspired to perform well by the praise of coworkers