As a patient-focused organization, University of Utah Health exists to enhance the health and well-being of people through patient care, research and education. Success in this mission requires a culture of collaboration, excellence, leadership, and respect. University of Utah Health seeks staff that are committed to the values of compassion, collaboration, innovation, responsibility, diversity, integrity, quality and trust that are integral to our mission. EO/AA
This position assists and educates patients in the selection of eyeglass frames, contact lenses and lens enhancements. The incumbent orders, dispenses, repairs and adjusts eyeglasses and contact lenses. This position also provides office support and assists customers with appointments.
This posting is for a PRN Optician in Farmington, meaning, part-time, as-needed hours.
Corporate Overview: The University of Utah is a Level 1 Trauma Center and is nationally ranked and recognized for our academic research, quality standards and overall patient experience. Our four hospitals and seventeen clinics provide excellence in our comprehensive services, medical advancement, and overall patient outcomes.
- Assists and educates patients in the selection of frames, contact lenses and lens enhancements based on the patient's specific needs.
- Processes eyeglass and contact lens orders, which includes pricing, measuring, collecting money, coding and documenting patient charts.
- Teaches new contact lens wearers how to insert, remove, clean and care for lenses.
- Repairs and adjusts eyeglasses while ensuring patient satisfaction.
- Manages inventory of contact lenses, eyeglass frames, accessories, tools and office supplies.
- Provides office support by answering incoming calls, scheduling appointments and checking in patients for appointments.
- Maintains clean, organized and stocked eyeglass displays.
- Performs finish lab skills including lens layout, edging, tinting, frame assembly and repair, frame adjustment and lensometry.
- Attends continuing education courses to keep informed of new technology and advances in the optical industry.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined above.
- Ability to sell and service eyeglasses and contact lenses and a demonstrated commitment to provide excellent customer service.
- Demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills.
- Ability to problem solve in situations that may involve patient comfort and satisfaction and dealing with irate or frustrated customers.
- Ability to provide care appropriate to the population served.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles of life span growth and development.
- Ability to assess data regarding the patient's status and provide care as described in the department's policies and procedures manual.
- Six months of experience working in an eye care related position, or equivalency.
- Current RQI Healthcare Provider eCredential through the University of Utah Health RQI system. The eCredential is to be obtained within 30 days of hire.
* Additional license requirements as determined by the hiring department.
- Finish lab skills, including lens layout, edging and tinting.
- Frame assembly, adjustment and repair experience.
- Lensometry experience.
- National Contact Lens Examiners (NCLE) certification.
- American Board of Opticianry (ABO) Certification.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
Employee must be able to meet the following requirements with or without an accommodation.
- This position involves intermediate working conditions in a healthcare setting that may exert up to 50 pounds and may consistently require lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, or otherwise moving patients or objects, such as medical equipment, while providing patient care. Workers in this position may be exposed to infectious diseases and may be required to function around prisoners or behavioral health patients
We are University of Utah Health. Employment.utah.edu