Vice President, Marketing, Communications, and Membership (remote)
The National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) is a membership association for more than 1,900 private K-12 independent schools across the United States and abroad united by our vision that all learners find pathways to success through the independence, innovation, and diversity of our schools, creating a more equitable world. As the vice president, marketing, communications, and membership, you will report to the Chief Operating Officer and lead the strategic management and positioning of NAIS’s portfolio of products, services, and events, including . You will oversee the development and implementation of data-driven strategies to help centralize our marketing and communications and to create internal systems that optimize our teams to meet member needs and increase efficiencies across the organization. With the ability to work from your home office and/or the Washington D.C. headquarters office, you will inspire, lead, coach, and provide guidance for a team of 18 highly talented staff members, including directors or manager-level leaders of the marketing, communications, membership, and member success teams.
Initially, you will implement a comprehensive strategy to integrate the four teams, synthesizing their workstreams to increase capacity, and reduce redundancies. You will also play a key role in formalizing a data-driven process to evaluate the member value of current and future products, services, and events to ensure that they align with members’ needs throughout their journeys.
With a 99% member retention rate, it is clear our members look to NAIS as the industry resource for data-driven insights, research, and trend analysis; leadership and governance guidance; strategy and innovation support; equity, inclusion, and well-being resources; and professional development opportunities to support their schools and leaders. Your success will be determined by your ability to build trust across the organization, centralize the marketing and communications efforts, and deploy effective solutions that leverage data. We will rely on your expertise to strengthen our marketing strategy by developing an inbound and outbound marketing program to drive the acquisition of new customers, identify bundling and cross-selling opportunities, and determine the overall positioning of the portfolio of products.
- Lead the strategic centralization of the marketing, communications, membership, and member success teams, creating internal systems that increase efficiencies across the organization and optimize the well-functioning teams’ ability to meet member needs.
- Retain, recruit, and lead a capable and productive team, delegating tasks and managing them well, ensuring cross-functional communication and clear, open lines of support with other NAIS teams; assist with training and onboarding of new staff.
- Play a key role in developing and executing NAIS’s overall product strategy: produce, price, market, and sell our portfolio of existing and proposed products, services, and events to drive revenue growth, align with member needs, and ensure consistency with NAIS’s strategic goals.
- Monitor industry trends and work with the leadership team to set and fully deploy thought leadership campaigns and to develop content that meets member needs.
- Prepare and review monthly, quarterly, and yearly budgets, and allocate resources appropriately.
Marketing and Communications
- Set the strategy and direction for managing competing interests that impact department resources. Develop metrics, understanding where we are having the greatest impact and realigning department priorities as appropriate.
- Build and sustain a marketing operations process, including people, tools, and resources.
- Position the marketing team as an internal service for NAIS teams and events, providing planning, writing, design, and digital deployment services while maintaining brand integrity.
- Develop and build buy-in for an overarching content strategy that supports the organization’s goals. Oversee production of core communications vehicles (resource-rich website, books and other publications, quarterly magazine, weekly newsletter, podcasts, etc.) to ensure the alignment of member needs and strategic priorities.
- Optimize the marketing and communications calendar, evaluating the frequency and cadence of member messaging, media mix, audience segmentation, etc.
- Ensure the effective development, design, and deployment of all materials created in collaboration with NAIS teams.
- Play a key role in developing and deploying products, services, and events to support NAIS’s role as an industry thought leader.
Membership and Member Success
- Continue to strengthen strategic membership recruitment and retention efforts.
- Supervise the development of membership marketing materials to underscore NAIS’s value to its members.
- Oversee effective customer service for members and grow helpful feedback loops among marketing, communications, membership, member success, and the wider organization.
- Guide the effort to explore membership benefits packages, new market opportunities, and alternative revenue growth.
- Serve as an engaged and collaborative representative of NAIS with members, prospects, and other relevant connections; strengthen relationships with individuals and institutions on behalf of NAIS’s strategic goals and priorities.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, branding, or a related discipline. A master’s degree is a plus.
- 10+ years of experience overseeing marketing, communications, publications, and/or membership, ideally in an association or non-profit setting. Consummate
- Five years of staff management. Ability to develop and execute strategic business plans. Knowledge of financial management.
- Experience with Salesforce, ClickDimensions, Basecamp, and ClickUp is helpful.
- You are results-driven. You smoothly manage through ambiguity and easily shift gears, reprioritize, and stay focused on outcomes. You see the big picture and the details, monitor your key performance metrics, and take the action necessary to produce results.
- You are a leader. You have proven experience coaching, mentoring, and developing staff at all professional levels. You are a confident mentor willing to listen and learn from others.
- You are relationship-focused. You have the spirit of collaboration and the diplomatic skills and ability to build cross-functional working relationships with staff at all levels and other business partners. You value what each team member brings to the table and know how to nurture productive relationships while also getting the work done.
- You are mission-driven. You understand the big picture and easily translate objectives into member benefits. You understand what matters to members and what serves the mission.
- You are a consensus builder. You understand the concerns and needs of others and how to realistically manage expectations. You know how to build trust internally and externally. You are viewed as professional and accountable.
- You have a strong business acumen. You set priorities wisely and know how to translate strategy into action. You enjoy solving tactical and process problems. You have successfully structured programs to meet organizational needs.
- You are a systems-thinker. You understand how to leverage the capabilities of technology to meet business needs. You can come in and set up systems that will consolidate, streamline, and automate day-to-day processes.
What’s Attractive to the Right Candidate?
- You will have the support of a stable organization with ample resources. NAIS was founded 60 years ago and has a solid reputation as the industry leader for data, resources, and research.
- Day to day, the work will be stimulating and varied, calling on both strategic and tactical thinking. As a key member of the leadership team, you will develop and implement strategies to orchestrate NAIS’s time, talent, and resources to achieve our goals, make progress on our priorities, and best serve our members.
- You will be surrounded by people who are professional and committed to making a difference. You will find the level of talent, quality of work, and responsiveness of our staff to be unparalleled. Above all, you can take pride in knowing that your work will be in service to our committed effort that all learners find pathways to success through the independence, innovation, and diversity of our schools, creating a more equitable world.
- We offer an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/pet insurance; 10% retirement contributions; a very generous paid time off schedule, with flexible, sick, and parental leave in addition to 18.5 holidays; tuition reimbursement; and more.
Use the "Apply" button on this page or simply email your resume to Lilly Khan at email@example.com with “NAIS – VP Marketing, Communications, and Membership #2022-2710 SA” as the subject of the email.
Job responsibilities are similar to the following position: VP Marketing, Senior Director of Marketing & Communications, Chief Marketing Officer.
Please note: our practice is to not disclose the salary ranges our clients would consider. Any salary information included in this posting was estimated without our input.
Staffing Advisors is assisting NAIS with the hiring process. Staffing Advisors is committed to reducing bias in every aspect of the hiring process. We have long recommended an evidence-based approach to hiring. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. This position may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history. You can learn more about our actions on our blog.