How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The Principal Architect is responsible for design principles, engineering process, and technology selection to deliver custom software products to Health System Operations, Research and Development, and Translational Research for Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH). Also serves as a technical expert working with business stakeholders (e.g., Quality, Clinical, Operations, Marketing, Strategy, and Research) to translate business requirements into actionable software applications. Will apply software engineering, systems engineering, DevOps, and scientific principles to improve the agile and iterative prototype through production workflows. Will design and implement cohesive end-to-end systems and lead Cloud Engineers, Software Engineers, and Site Reliability Engineers (SRE) to build isolated, secure, resilient, self-healing systems for prototyping and production. Also leads R&D efforts to meet system challenges such as computational optimization needs, new data pipelines, and low latency response architectures.
A day in the life of a Principal Architect at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Prototype, evaluate, and integrate next-generation software and systems for the health system.
- Leverage microservice containerization and other emerging technologies,
- Create isolated, reproducible prototyping and development environments highly similar to production.
- Make scientific experimentation and Machine Learning life cycle safer, resilient, and efficient.
- Design and develop solutions that empower software engineers, data scientists, and researchers to deliver solutions in operations.
- Enable modern computation techniques and software resilience by utilizing dynamically scaled compute resources.
- Effectively use the cloud resources while empowering scientists and researchers to choose and apply the most appropriate technology to the problems at hand.
- Retain the agility to revise technology and infrastructure decisions; ensure considering new outcomes evidence and advancement of best practices in distributed systems, streaming systems, (bi-)temporal outcomes analysis, risk assessment & mitigation, machine learning, edge computing, Internet of Things (IoT), High Performance Computing (HPC), and artificial intelligence.
- Provide transparency to the processes, tools, risks, and practice of Predictive Healthcare as an emerging field in health care through open-source and open-process improvement.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor of Science degree in a related field.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience, preferably in software engineering roles.
- Production Polyglot design and programming skills in a language such as golang, python, C, C++.
- Production experience with software development life cycle in American National Standards Institute (ANSI) stands for Structured Query Language (SQL) or Procedural Language (PL)/PostgreSQL (PGSQ).
- Competency in Linux and the Unix shell, or with equivalent operating systems.
- Production experience with microservice orchestration (e.g., Google App Engine, Hashicorp, Kubernetes), logging, metrics, and alerting (e.g., Loki, Grafana, Prometheus, Kibana, Fluentd).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. 8. Proficient computer skills (i.e. Microsoft Office suite, Google Applications, etc.).
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Masters of Science degree in a related field and 7 years of relevant experience.
- Production experience with infrastructure as code using a cloud provider (e.g., Azure, AWS, Google Cloud Platform) using tools like Terraform and python.
- Production experience with dev ops automation directly from source control, semantic versioning, and CI/CD (e.g., GitHub actions, Circle CI, Travis CI).
- Development of open-source products
- Effective asynchronous team communication, documentation of process and code in source control toward automation.
- Practical understanding of Agile software development process with code review and retrospectives.
- Practical understanding of Systems Engineering challenges and processes for effective R&D.