The position is responsible for providing confidential and professional executive support to the Mayor and to the Director of Administrative Services. This employee is the initial point of contact between the offices and the public, City employees and department heads, community leaders, and vendors. There is a considerable amount of communication with internal and external contacts.
- Maintains efficient daily operation of both offices
- Acts as liaison between the City Department Heads, the general public, community business leaders, and elected officials
- Assists in preparation of operating budget and monitors account balances
- Performs routine office duties such as answering phone, filing, typing, etc.
- Receives, processes and distributes incoming mail
- Makes travel arrangements including seminars, hotel reservations, flight reservations, train travel, etc.
- Processes payment of invoices
- Responsible for purchasing and maintaining inventory of office supplies
- Maintains calendar; schedules and coordinates meetings and appointments
- Prepares and maintains departmental files and prepares correspondence, memorandums, proclamations, policies and procedures as assigned
- Responds to walk-in visitors, phone calls, emails and letters, prioritizing and referring requests and inquiries by directing them to the proper personnel
- Receives and responds to questions and complaints from the general public, researches and evaluates issues, and facilitates conflict resolution
- Plans and coordinates special events
- Processes departmental payroll
- Work schedule may be flexible at Mayor's discretion
- Completes other duties and projects as assigned
High school diploma with preference to advanced degree or applicable training in related field
Minimum of 3 years in job related experience, preferably in a government office setting
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Must be able to type with speed and accuracy
- Must have extensive knowledge of computer software application, i.e. Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook
- Must possess basic arithmetic skills
- Must have knowledge to operate Dictaphone equipment
- Must possess excellent spelling, grammar, and written communication skills
- Excellent telephone and oral communication skills
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive confidential situations and documentation
- Ability to research and analyze various types of data
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Must perform duties with significant independence
- Must be courteous, considerate, cooperative, and tactful in communications with citizens, fellow employees, and Department Heads
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: (Direct Reports)
EQUIPMENT TO BE USED:
Computer, fax machine, telephone, calculator, and general office equipment
Standing, sitting, kneeling, stooping, ability to lift maximum of 25 pounds.
Works in a typical office setting with occasional evenings and/or weekend work. Expected to be consistently reliable and punctual for scheduled work.