JOB SUMMARY:Responsible for assisting the Director of Nursing in planning, organizing, staffing, directing, coordinating, reporting, budgeting, inventory control, and management of facility, people, supplies, and equipment in such a way that meaningful nursing service is established to render the optimum level of resident care. The ADON reports directly to the Director of Nursing.
Must be a graduate of an accredited school of nursing and hold a current Registered Professional Nurse's license in the State of New Jersey.
1. Must have working knowledge of nursing services, nursing administration, rehabilitation, general nursing, and geriatric nursing.
2.Must be qualified to assume the position by training and /or previous experience of a supervisory status, preferably in a health care facility.
3.Must possess the ability to make independent decisions and mature judgments.
4. Must have the ability and the willingness to supervise and work harmoniously with professional and non-professional personnel.
5. Must have the ability to plan, organize, develop, implement, and interpret the programs, goals, objectives, policies, procedures, etc. of the Nursing Department.
6.Knowledge of rehabilitative and restorative nursing practices is preferred.
1. Must be physically and mentally capable of performing routine job duties.
2. Excellence in all aspects of quality nursing including rehabilitative and restorative.
3. Good administrative, managerial, organizational, planning, and interpersonal skills.
4. Leadership qualities that motivate and direct the nursing staff.
5. Be personable with residents, families, and staff in a professional and cooperative manner.
6. Must have compassion, tolerance, and understanding for the residents of the facility.
7. Thorough knowledge of Department of Health, State of Maryland, and Federal regulations.
A. Support the facility's philosophy of care and strive to achieve its goals and objectives.
B. Assist the DON in planning, organizing, and directing the Nursing Department.
C. Identify the needs, problems, and progress of nursing services and make recommendations for improvement.
D. Assist in developing and administering nursing service policies.
E. Assist in establishing standards of nursing practices.
F. Assist in defining or revising job requirements, qualifications, and functions of nursing personnel.
G. Enforce policies which are established by the Administrator, DON, and other departments which affect nursing. Ascertain that each employee in the nursing department is aware of the lines of authority and exercise disciplinary action or termination when necessary and provide appropriate documentation in the employee's personnel record.
H. Develop and implement a systematic program of evaluation for nursing.
K. Supervise, by daily rounds, and evaluate the performance of the:
a) nurse supervisors
b) charge nurses
c) treatment nurses
L. Provide guidance to the unit nurse in the administration of his/her unit.
M. Ensure that nursing personnel provide treatments, medication, diets, rehabilitative nursing care, activities of daily living, protective services, and training in self-care as stated in the care plan to ascertain that optimum comfort and care is provided.
N. Make rounds and observe individual residents who are experiencing episodes of acute illness, deterioration in health status, recent injury, recovering from surgery, etc., so as to be acquainted with the resident's status, both physically and emotionally and to ascertain that the staff is rendering proper care.
O. Identify educational and clinical needs of the nursing staff and schedule in-services to address them.
P. Report pertinent information concerning patient care, performance of personnel and other activities of the units to the DON.
Q. Assist in orienting new employees to the facility, personnel policy, and unit responsibilities.
R. Oversee Facility Annual In-services and trainings as the Educator for the facility
R. Make recommendations for promotion, transfer and termination of employees.
T. Attend Medicare, Department Head, Infection Control, Performance Improvement, nursing department meetings, and others as deemed appropriate.
U. Maintain up-to-date knowledge of any changes in Federal and State regulations, assist in modifying department policies to assure compliance, and in-service all effected personnel accordingly.
V. Furnish information regarding residents only to authorized agencies or people.
W. Delegate the responsibility to daily review the documentation of dispensing controlled substances and narcotics. Reviews the records no less than weekly, or sooner if a discrepancy is noted, to ascertain that they are properly counted and documented from shift to shift.
X. Audit sample EMR charting monthly to ascertain proper nursing charting and documentation of care given and directly confer with those employees who are not properly documenting.
Z. Follow established fire, disaster, safety, infection control and evacuation policies and procedures.
AA. Supervise, as assigned, review and follow up of consultant reports and recommendations.
AB. Perform other related duties as assigned by the Administrator and DON.
AC. Work as weekend Supervisor as part of Department head monthly rotation.
Related keywords: director of nursing, rn, registered nurse, nurse, nurse manager
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Nursing: 5 years (Preferred)
- (This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is: People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects